Aegina

Aegina is located in the Saronic gulf 16 miles away from the port of Peiraeus and has approximately 13.500 residents.

History

According to mythology, the first king of the island was Aiakos, son of Zeus and Aegina. The ancient name of the island was Oinoni and was inhabited since 2.200 b.C. Aegina evolved in a great commercial and naval force and was distinguished for the ceramic art. At about 650 b.C. Aegeneans imported a pioneering system of measurement and were the first to have a silver coin with the symbol of "turtle". Aegina played an important role during the Greek Revolution against the Turkish occupation in 1821 and became the first capital of the newly established Greek state in 1828 with Governor Ioannis Kapodistrias.

aegina_map

SIGE by Kubik-Rubik.de